My dad got me a very interesting book on Sunday. It's called "The fallacy Detective". A fallacy is a mistake, an error in logic! for example:
Dad: "People don't use their heads anymore..."
Son: "I use it all the time when I play soccer!" Now here, they are obviously talking about two different uses. The son has just used a fallacy! This book shows you how to use your deduction skills at a higher level, spot mistakes in logic (like Phoenix Wright), and think things through! So far it is quite interesting and engaging. Logic is the art of thought process and how to conduct those processes! I've read the first chapter so far, and I really like it :) Want to test your reasoning skills? I'll give you a small test.
Here are your options. A: This person does not wish to exercise their mind or they are afraid of the mental work. B: This person has a very inquisitive mind. C: None of the above.
1. Surfer: Hey, man. These waves are, like, so cool I just can, like, spend my life here, man.
2. Small child: I can't pick up my toys... I don't remember where they go.
3. Tom: Don't make me go into town to pick up groceries! There's a foot of snow fall since last night, and it will be a pain to shovel out the driveway again!
4. Merle: I like reading two different news papers which report the same event. That way I can see the issue from two different perspectives.
5. Nate: I hate going to the library, I always end up reading a ton and wasting time! But lets go anyways!
6. Benny: If I don't finish reading this book tonight, I'll have to pay the library a fine!
Thought about it? Well here are your answers!
1. A: There's more to life!
2. A: Kids can forget things when they want to...
3. C: He's being lazy physically.
4. B: He wants to gain more knowledge on the situation!
5. B: He may not want to admit it, but he loves learning.
6. C: Who wants to pay money? Am I right?
This is just a small taste of this amazing book. As I go on reading it, I'll make more posts on it! Until next time!